Christmas dangers Written by Administrator on November 30th, 2014 Posted in Dog News, Pet News, Vets in Desborough, Vets in Harborough District, Vets in Kibworth, Vets in Rothwell
Christmas is an exciting time of the year, and one when most people slightly over-indulge!
There are many foods that are more-readily available over Christmas, which are poisonous to dogs; some to the extent that they can prove fatal. Others may cause serious conditions such as pancreatitis.
Foods which must never be fed to dogs include; raisins, grapes, cheese, onions, garlic and chocolate. These are normally around the home by way of mince pies, Christmas cake, stuffing, masses of chocolates including those placed on the Christmas tree.
If you think your dog has eaten any of these or something you are unsure is safe, please telephone the practice straight away. If your dog needs to be made to vomit, this needs to be done as soon as possible before the foodstuff is ingested (within 3-4 hours). It is helpful if you have to hand the product details and how much and when it was ingested.